Thanks so much for stopping by! Please feel free to follow and share this blog with your friends, as well as on Facebook, Pinterest, Flipboard, Bloglovin, YouTube and now Instagram!  I appreciate you reading along.

This post is linked up at these other sites: Between Naps on the PorchUncommon DesignMy Uncommon Slice of SurburbiaHome Stories A to ZA Stroll Thru LifeStoneGableA Bowl Full of LemonsCoastal CharmTip JunkieSavvy Southern StyleDIY By DesignFrom My Front Porch to YoursPosed PerfectionFrench Country CottageThe Charm of HomeMy Repurposed LifeDesign, Dining & DiapersToo Much Time on My HandsMy Romantic HomeThe Shabby NestSerenity NowChic on a ShoestringFunky Junk InteriorsUnder the Table and DreamingIt's OverflowingNifty Thrifty Things

Comments

1. Paula says

I too love using portieres, having used them in my former house a sweet little ivy covered bungalow. However we now own a 100+ yr old basic victorian farmhouse, and instead of a squared wood framed archway between the dining and parlor (aka “living room” ), it is arched, with no framing. Any suggestions on how to install a portiere? The difficulties are that the ceilings are very high, and installing a rod above looks odd in the room, and installing one within leaves a gap on top for heat toescape, thus defeating the practical purpose.

• Liz says

Very interesting question, Paula! My mind is reeling with how you could install some sort of an attached rod inside the curved doorway… whether it be stationery at the top and you pull the curtain back at the sides with some sort of tiebacks, or a drapery rod that would allow the top of the curtain to move. I’d check online for an arched drapery rod and see what there is out there. I’d imagine someone is selling something like that, because there are a lot of arched windows that would need it, right? I’d love to hear what you find! Thanks for stopping by! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Bess says

I also live in a very old home and it has drafts no mater what I do , so I have one of these between my kitchen and living room , it is amazing how much it helps when it is windy and cold . I close it when I am done in the Kitchen for the morning and when the day warmes up I open it till after the evening chores are done .It also saves some money on the electric bill

3. Ellen says

Oh, my word, I love this! I did something similar (but I just used a tension rod) in my last house between the study and the kitchen, since the study was always a mess! I want to do the same thing in this house between the kitchen and DR. There’s a door now, but I never close it, since the DR gets a lot of sun and the kitchen doesn’t. So I thought about trying to install a pocket door or just take the door off the hinges and leave it open. But the portiere idea is the best.

4. alaskafaught says

I really like the drama of the colorful Portiere against your gray wall and the way the touches of gold in it are highlighted by you door. Overall a great re-do of your entryway and you get the added advantage of controlling the cold draft. Bravo!
    Sherry in Alaska

• LIz says

Thank you so much Sherry! So you being in Alaska, probably know all about cold winters… depending on how far from the coast you are, right?

• alaskafaught says

I’m 49 miles outside Fairbanks, so yes, I know about cold winters. I actually have a portiere separating the living, dining, kitchen areas of my home from the bedroom and bath area in the back to help regulate sleeping temperature in the winter.

• LIz says

Oh my, I know you can get cold there for sure… My sister lived by Tok, which was relatively close to Fairbanks, and she would tell me how cold it got there… it’d make their truck tires go flat and turn the oil to sludge.. Brrr! you are a brave soul.

5. NorthShoreBungalow says

Oh my goodness, we live in an Arts & Crafts 100 year old bungalow AND the entryway looks very similar to yours. Our entry way has two doors instead of an entry door and curtain like yours. We live off the coast of Lake Michigan. I just found your blog at The Scoop #157 and I’m a new follower (p.s. I hope you do a lot of nautical stuff). ๐Ÿ™‚ -Bev

• LIz says

Yay! Thanks Bev! Oh yes, this summer when I will be able to get in the cottage and start sharing some of that, you’ll see lots of fun nautical stuff. I love it, but feel it can look kinda silly in this landlocked area of Wisconsin. I am so drawn to the ocean, and yet live just about the furthest possible in all directions from it. Haha oh well, I’ll bloom where I’m planted, hopefully. So glad to have you following along. Liz

6. Donnamae says

The fabric you used is wonderful! And it really fits your home. We have a 70’s home, 1970’s that is, so a Portiere wouldn’t look right. Keeping the cold out, is a fantastic reason…but, you have to admit….there is a coolness factor involved here too! ๐Ÿ˜‰