Little Brick Cottage… DIY Vintage Canning Jar Pendant Lights

In the kitchen at the ‘Little Brick Cottage’ we have a peninsula in the new floor plan, and it seemed fitting to have some pendant lights hanging over that peninsula. When I started looking however, I couldn’t find anything that stayed in our budget and looked like a simple farmhouse style light.

So, as it often does, necessity led to creativity…

I made a mason jar pendant light, well 3 in fact,  to hang off the track light repurposing vintage blue canning jars and old zinc lids.

I’ve said before how much I like using track lighting, and the simple cleverness of the track pendant adapter for just this purpose, (like how I showed you I used it in the dining room at ‘Our House’). The versatility it gives is very effective, especially in a kitchen where a lot of specific task lighting is needed. You can just add another fixture if need be and point it to where you want. That’s what we have mounted above the peninsula here, so the small fixtures are for the function,

but I wanted something for the form part, you know to look pretty, and that’s where the jar pendant lights come into the picture.  Here’s how I made them:

HometoCottage.com DIY canning jar pendant supplies

Here are all the supplies I used for this project. The chain I had in the junk drawer, and the lamp cord too… the track light pendant adapters I bought at Menard’s, the only place I’ve ever found them, they run around $8 each, the ceramic fixtures were less than that, I think around $3 and I picked those up at Menard’s too.

Oh and the jars and lids, well I didn’t get those at Menard’s, in fact I swapped one of the carpenters helping me with the cottage some of the old windows we took out in exchange for the jars and lids. His wife was thrilled to get the old windows for crafts, (I kept a few windows for myself to use) and I was thrilled to get the jars and lids… it was a great trade!

If you’re familiar with old zinc lids you know they have a glass liner inside them, I sadly had to hammer that and break it out to be able to repurpose these jars, but I consoled myself with at least this way they’re being used and displayed…

So once the lid glass was out here are the steps I did to simply wire together the lamps:

HometoCottage.com steps to making your own pendant

I drilled vent holes in the lid, just in case the light bulbs heated up inside there? I just figured better safe than sorry.

HometoCottage.com pendant done

And speaking of lightbulbs, since you are looking directly at the lights, I used a super low watt bulb, also it had to be small to fit inside the mouth of the jar. Remember these pendants are for the form, not the function of lighting needs.

HometoCottage.com DIY canning jar pendant

By having the chain hook to the pendant adapter at the top and screw into the rod in the lid, all the weight of the light, (which actually isn’t very much, but still…) goes onto the chain, and not onto the cord, which would not be safe.

The simple farmhouse style of the canning jar lights compliments the antique cottage’s kitchen so well. It’s a sweet statement of how life once was in this little brick cottage.

Here are more posts featuring this little brick cottage renovation:

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please feel free to follow and share this blog with your friends, as well as on Facebook, Pinterest, Flipboard, Bloglovin, YouTube and Instagram! I appreciate you reading along.

Comments

1. Jenny says

What a cute idea! I may have to borrow this for the light over my sink! I already have the light kit and the jar so wow…..free light!! LOVE IT!! Thanks so much for sharing. Stopping by from White Wednesday 🙂

xoxo
    jenny

2. Kathy says

LOVE it! Perfect for a farmhouse kitchen! Thank you for sharing your step-by-step post with Home and Garden Thursday – playing catch up!
    Kathy

3. Karen says

This is so cute! I love mason jars as lights, and I haven’t seen them done this way before. I am pinning it and sharing it tomorrow at my link party! Starts at 2 PST. Thanks!

4. Misty says

So fun! I’d love for you to link up to my first ever linky party, Ta-Da Tuesday 🙂 check it out HERE ! <3 from your newest follower, I'd be delighted if you'd follow back!

5. jamie says

so cool! I was wondering how to make pendant lights out of old jars… I was just researching it today and then I found you through the A to Z link party tonight! Thanks!

6. Mindie says

Super cool diy lights. I would love for you to share at the Anything Goes linky at Bacon Time, if you want another fun place to share your talents. It runs every Friday to Monday.

7. Christine says

This is FABULOUS!!!!! It looks just perfect above the island! Love the blue tint to the jar too!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

8. Stacey says

Ahhh…my adoration of mason jars lives on. Thanks for fueling that fire! Those are just awesome – love the character they bring to the space!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

9. kim@too much time says

Hey!
    These are so cute and thanks for the detailed tute. I will admit, I love the look, but have felt intimidated about the process. Hmmmm maybe I can actually try it now!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

10. Donna wilkes says

Came over from HoH to see the canning jar lights. You are far superior to me – I would never tackled an electrical job. As I was reading, I was thinking about the heat building inside the jar. Then, of course you answered that! You are not no only creative, but your posts include the little details.

Distressed Donna Down Home

11. Sharon Hines says

Wow! I absolutely love these lights. You never cease to amaze me with your ingenuity and creativity. Thanks for sharing at Show & Tell!

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

12. Savannah Granny says

Hi, I am visiting from Sharon’s “Show and Tell”. I love your pendants. hat would work well over my kitchen island. Now, I just need to find the canning jars. LOL

13. Home Made Modern says

What a great tutorial! I love the reclaimed-ness of this project…and did you know canning jar lights actually go for a lot of money on Ebay and Etsy? Thanks for the DIY idea!

14. JaneEllen Jones says

Great tutorial, love how they look. Fit right in to type of kitchen you’ve made. I have a few of the size jars you used. I was thinking how neat those lights would look with the bigger slightly green cast jars or mixing the sizes. I can never seem to leave anything as I see it, always have to change something. I have couple of those bigger jars and thought that would be a good use for them. I’d love to find more of the bigger ones. Found the ones I have in KY. The ones that are available here (Grand Junction, CO)are way too expensive.