Little Brick Cottage… Kitchen Before and After, What a Change!

Whoo-Hoo, the big reveal of the kitchen at the ‘Little Brick Cottage’ is here! And what a change it is from when we bought this antique house in December of last year.

I think the best way to help you see this amazing transformation is to show you side by side before and after pictures.

HometoCottage.com cottage kitchen before and after

One of the sweetest surprises in this reno, was finding the original oak plank floor hiding under layers of vinyl flooring.

To get the kitchen finished to this point we did a lot of work. The old kitchen was in tough condition and had a lousy floor plan. There was a ton of wasted space and a terrible work triangle. (Oops the jar lights over the peninsula are missing in this after pic.)

To be able to create space for a good work triangle, between the stove, sink and fridge, we had to remove this side door. It just wasn’t needed and gave us the wall space we needed to create a new space for the sink and dishwasher.

The door was replaced with a window, and because the cottage is brick, there are incredibly thick walls, which provided a super deep window sill at the sink.

The sink used to be located…

…here, tucked in the corner. But now the stove is here with just enough counter space on each side. We gained a little space on this wall length to fit the counters on each side when, during the bathroom reno, we removed and rebuilt this back wall, and placed the bathroom door just a little farther to the right.

I’m sorry to say that I don’t have a pic of where the stove was originally, but at the top of this page in the before, you can just barely make out the stove on the left. Now that space is for the:

…fridge. The fridge was originally located over where we now put the new sink.

We had just enough space here for the fridge to fit, with a ‘case’ around it to cover up the fridge sides, (one of my pet peeves in a kitchen) and install a narrow cabinet. It’s helpful to have a spot to set fridge items as they’re being loaded and unloaded, even if that spot is only 9” wide.

Now there’s a great work triangle in this kitchen. The sink (and dw) are to your right, the stove (and microwave) are to your left and the fridge is ahead toward your left.

Beyond is the new peninsula we created from stock cabinets. (dang, again, the jar lamps aren’t in the pic…) The windows in the whole cottage needed to be replaced, so we could have opted to install shorter windows in the kitchen to have a long wall for cabinets, but I felt that would be doing a ‘dis-service’ to the integrity of the antique house.

Instead we opted to maintain the original size of the windows for their replacements and it still gave me just enough room for a peninsula between them with a small overhang on the counter, allowing space for stools.

We dressed up the plain unfinished backs of the cabinets with beadboard, which I painted white to match the cabinets. (Finally, here’s a pic of those cute DIY jar lamps I made over the peninsula.)

This peninsula is a gathering spot in the kitchen, and offers a good work surface as well.

The coziness of sitting at a stool here with the South sun steaming in those low long windows on a cold winter morning sounds so appealing to me.

Here are the elements that make up the kitchen. I purposely worked hard to maintain the vintage farmhouse style integrity of this space, on a budget, and finding those old oak plank floors under it all totally confirmed this vision.

I’m so pleased with the kitchen’s results, it really did turn out to fit in with the charming style of the entire ‘Little Brick Cottage’.

As always, please feel free to share this blog with your friends, as well as on Facebook and Pinterest the more the merrier!

I appreciate you stopping by.

Comments

1. Lynn says

I love the white, gray and yellow together. What a great color scheme for a farmhouse kitchen. You did a great job. I could picture myself in that kitchen. I love it!

2. debbiedoos says

Girl you are amazing! I adore your kitchen. Your choices, your color, just everything. Thanks for sharing all your inspiration with the newbie party.

3. Kathy says

Hello! Fabulous new kitchen. I am always amazed when people cover over beautiful wood floors – yours are wonderful – love the cabinetry, the beadboard and your creative jar light! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

4. Kristie says

Looks great!! Maybe I missed it – put what paint colors did you use? I am in the love with the yellow and gray.

5. Becky says

Wow! Amazing renovation! Congrats and I hope that you are able to sit back and enjoy it all. Well done! I am stopping by from Home & Garden Thursday.

6. Stacey says

WOW! That doesn’t even look like the same kitchen! Fabulous makeover!
    Thanks for lining up this week – love your work!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

7. Nikki says

Oh wow. That is amazing, it looks so much better and brighter. I especially love the oak flooring. What a great surprise that must have been.

8. Prissyville says

OMG! That is beautiful! Hardly looks like the same kitchen. And who does that…cover beautiful wood floors with vinyl!?? Love your redo.

9. Emily says

This is SO beautiful! I love how gorgeous the oak floors and yellow paint are. It makes the room so much brighter. Great job!

10. Sharon Hines says

I love this makeover! I think it flows beautifully with the rest of the cottage. I really like the idea of mixing up the hardware. Thanks for sharing this impressive makeover.

Sharon @ mrs. hines class

11. Kristin C. says

This looks awesome! The house we’re buying has a very dark kitchen with NO windows 🙁 so this woul dbe a great color to lighten things up! And I love your mason jar pendant lamp! Thanks for sharing

Visiting from It’s So Very Cheri and now a new follower

12. Kathy says

That is one amazing renov. It doesn’t even look the same…at all. I’d love for you to link this up to Titus 2 Tuesday tomorrow on Cornerstone Confessions.

Stopping over from Serendipity and Spice.

Kathy

13. Vee says

I found you on Tatertots and Jello. LOVE the color of yellow you used on the walls! I have had lots of trouble with choosing yellows…too dark, too fluorescent, too chiffony. The color you used looks nice and buttery, yet still bright and happy. I didn’t notice if you mentioned the brand and name of the paint. I’d REALLY like to know what it is. Thanks.

14. Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) says

This is beautiful! So sunny and bright. What a wonderful place to cook and enjoy with your family and friends. I love yellow…my kitchen is yellow, too. 🙂 This would be fabulous post to share for Metamorphosis Monday tomorrow. What an awesome Before and After!

15. Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage says

Fabulous! How amazing that you found that wood floor hiding under all that vinyl and how you kept the original window size.

I adore white kitchens and yours rocks – I hate seeing the ugly side of the fridge too!
    Kelly

16. Liz says

Okay, now I had to go and click on another of your fabulous before and afters! I’m drooling over that kitchen. You must never want to leave home. Cottage life…if this is what it’s all about, I’m in!

Liz

17. laurie says

FABULOUS job on your kitchen! I can tell that you really thought out every avenue before implementing it. Love the bright, airiness of it!!! 🙂

xoxo laurie

18. Ruthie says

I love it! Such a huge transformation! I wish there was a pic of the whole kitchen. Did u try taking a panoramic picture of the space? I looks so beautiful I just wish I could see the whole thing

19. Wendy says

I don’t even know where to start. What a fantastic job of updating that kitchen while staying true to the character of the house. It is so bright, warm and welcoming. It really draws you in and makes you want to be there. Great job!

20. jaime from crafty scrappy happy says

What a fabulous re-do! I am in the process of refinishing about every single room in my house… your kitchen gives me so much hope! I am inspired! oooh and I JUST painted my bathroom bead-board grey today! I love it…. now you make me want it in the kitchen too!
    Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

21. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home says

Wow, what wonderful improvements. I think the uncovered wood floor is my favorite. I like your idea of hiding the side of the fridge and have been thinking about doing that soon (I’m thinking about painting my cabinets this summer and adding that to the list.).