Here’s a Front Entry with an Amazing Floor!

A couple of days ago, I showed you the front entry bench vignette of my friend’s house, I want to show you a little more of that front entry hallway…

This shows the whole hallway to the front door. You can take in that gorgeous vintage braided rug. Just to the left through that doorway is  the sun-filled front room, that we started this house tour with a couple weeks ago.

Besides the beautiful vintage paintings she has above the bench, she also has this pair of prints hung in the hallway wall just before you enter the dining room doorway. One of the prints is an antique, the other is a reproduction, can you tell?  I’m not telling…

But here’s what I really want to talk about…the floor! When she moved in she was faced with this oak floor, a little mundane for her style, but in terrific shape, so to rip it out seemed very wasteful. Together, we came up with this idea, painting right over the finished floor with one coat of a durable black paint in a diamond pattern, leaving a little of the oak floor showing through to give a distressed look. Beautiful!

Here’s a tip: by turning the squares diagonally, instead of doing a straight on ‘checkerboard’ pattern, it actually visually enlarges the space, visually ‘pushing’ the walls out! Also it seems less ‘busy’ than a straight on checkerboard pattern.

This simple treatment took a ‘run-of-the-mill’, very average floor to a unique, stunning ‘feature’ in the front hall.

Here are more posts I’ve written about front and back entries:

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please feel free to follow and share this blog with your friends, as well as on Facebook, Pinterest, Flipboard, Bloglovin, YouTube and Instagram! I appreciate you reading along.

Comments

1. heathercp says

Auh-Mazing!! Just love this so much! Thank you for sharing with us at Inspiration Friday, we are featuring them this week!

Heather

2. Suzan says

I am planning on doing this in my bedroom ( floors are a disaster ) did you just tape the diamonds? It turned out gorgeous!
    Thanks!!!
    Suzan

3. Linda @ it all started with paint says

I keep seeing this at the parties and why am I not surprised to see it’s you! So amazing. I’m actually toying with maybe doing this in my home. The floors are original (100+) and honestly don’t thing they could withstand a real refinish … so this could be a viable option!

Just one more thing to add onto my gigantic to do list … sigh.

🙂

Linda

4. Shiloh says

What a neat floor! I would be terrified to try that on my floor, but it’s SOO cool to see how well you’ve made it work. I really like it.

5. Paula says

The floors really came out so nice. What a great idea. That had to be a lot of hard work. Thank you for this wonderful post! I would love it if you would share this at our What’s It Wednesday blog party. Hope to see you there.

Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

6. Christine says

I can spend hours looking at all your photos… I’m in AWWW!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality linky party!

7. Cedar Hill (@CedarHillRanch) says

Just featured this great floor on Cedar Hill Ranch’s FB page. Great look, and I am guessing the top print is the new one, and the bottom is the antique. Your friend did a great job on the floor. Please grab a featured button from Cowgirl Up, if you like. Have you been featured before? I am thinking you have, but either way, love the post!!

8. FABBY says

Beautiful entry way and I’m loving the floors, I’d love it without the rug, although the rug is so pretty too. Hugs,
    FABBY

9. Pat says

Love everything about this entry way. From the creamy yellow walls to the checkered floor!

I have a similar rug to this. I crocheted a rag rug about 23 years ago… I know cause my youngest son was a baby…anyway. It has stood the test of time. I still have it in my home.

great photos…loved the bench too. Thanks for sharing~Pat