Yay! I’m so glad to be writing this post, it means that our ‘pergola-turned-porch’ is done! I’m so thrilled with the results, let’s just pause here and take a look at the finished product, then I’ll give you the play by play.
Yay! Isn’t it cute? I think one of the reasons I’m so happy with the end result, is because when the project started, I was really worried that it was going to ruin the character I had built into this end of the house with the pergola addition several years prior.
Let me explain:
What started out as just painting the exterior of the house, turned into realizing there was a problem with the existing pergola design, that was causing water damage behind the siding of the East wall of ‘Our House’.
This picture, taken before Christmas shows the pergola with super cute rafter tails, (that I cut out with a jigsaw), that would have to all be cut off because we needed to create a traditional shingled roof so that the water would shed off properly.
One thing I wasn’t too upset about losing though, was the yellowed fiberglass roof and gable. This actually was the third round of fiberglass we’ve replaced the pergola with in about 12 years.
So after the carpenters removed the fiberglass,
I took advantage of the opportunity to paint the wall above it… albeit 3 times, but finally got it done before they came the next week to install the new roof. (Yes, I took my cell phone with me and snapped this picture while standing on the open rafters of the pergola, just in case anyone didn’t believe that this grandma could do such a thing.)
Then the carpenters came and cut off the decorative rafter tails, installed a traditional soffit and facia, faced the front with sheathing to prep it for siding and got the roof ready for the roofers.
Fortunately, I had a design moment when I grabbed these pair of vinyl barn sash windows at Menard’s just before they came back to finish the gable end… Without those, I don’t think the porch face would be very cute, but with the simple addition of two $16 windows, the whole look of the gable end changed!
I explained to the carpenter that I wanted the siding to be ‘framed with wide boards, to give it that cottage look I so love.
This picture shows it after I prepped, caulked and primed it for paint. (Remember that bonding priming I’ve been using on this exterior paint job dries clear.)
And here it is with all the trim painted. You can see how we were able to maintain part of the rafter tail detail still under the facia.
And here is the happy gable end with the siding all painted!
Even though I did lose some of the character of the pergola, I gained new character, and am super happy with the results… and how good to know the rain can’t get behind my siding of the house anymore!!
Yay!! I was featured here:
I’m linking up here:
Tuesday Link Parties
Wednesday Link Parties
Thursday Link Parties
Friday Link Parties
Saturday Link Parties
Sunday Link Parties
Monday Link Parties